Hiking on Szársomlyó-hillThe most beautiful wine region panorama? This is why it is worth climbing Szársomlyó-hill!
Has the question: ″But where are the vineyards here?″ ever come to your mind? Well, if you are interested in the answer, take part in the guided tour organised by the Danube-Drava National Park. As Szársomlyó is a (highly protected) nature reserve, it can only be visited with guidance. Among the more than 70 protected plant species growing here Hungarian Colchicum depicted on the back of the former 2 forint coin is possibly the most well-known botanical curiosity of the hill.
From the top of the hill there is a wonderful view onto the vineyards of Villány, the fisheries of Palkonya, what is more, you can get lots of interesting information about the rare plant species living here, e.g. about Hungarian Colchicum. The tour takes about 3 to 4 hours, its length is 5 kms. The tour starts from the Sculpture Park of Nagyharsány on every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 10 a.m.
The programme includes
- trip with the tour guide of the Danube-Drava National Park;
- colourful presentation (in Hungarian language!) about the wildlife and geology of the hill (7 out of all the protected plant species living in Hungary exist exclusively in the Villány Mountains and 4 species only on Szársomlyó!);
- there is a wonderful view from the top of the mountain onto the Villány Wine Region in clear weather;
- the opportunity to visit the Sculpture Park of Nagyharsány (free entry with a valid ticket to the tour).
Important: The tour goes through some rocky terrains which can become slippery in rainy weather! It is highly recommended to wear comfortable tracking boots and clothes suitable for the weather, and to deter mosquitos and ticks!
The tour starts from the Sculpture Park of Nagyharsány on every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Sunday at 10 a.m., depending on the weather. About the start of the tour and individual times you can get information from: Balogh László (tel.: +36 (20) 913-7534). More information about the tour: www.villanyiborvidek.hu.
Participation fee: up to the age of 18 years: 400 HUF/person ; adult: 800 HUF/person. Entry tickets are available in the Sculpture Park of Nagyharsány!
The programme can also be requested at times different from those of guaranteed tours.
Price of professional guidance: up to the age of 18 years: 500 HUF/person; adult: 1000 HUf/person, minimal fee: 12.000 HUF
Tel.: +36 (30) 405-4571
- wishes to see where the vineyards of the Villány Wine Region are and to enjoy a fantastic view from the highest point of the Wine Region;
- is not afraid of a bit steep and rocky terrain;
- is interested in the geology, geography and protected plant species of Szársomlyó (Hungarian language!);
- looks for an exciting tour programme in the Villány Wine Region .